At Annandale Behavioral Health we place a high premium on the importance of aftercare in recovery. Too often, someone completes detox and treatment, but is left rudderless in early recovery when relapse risk is high. We consider the aftercare portion to be of utmost importance to our client’s overall success in recovery.
When someone is transitioning from treatment to a sober lifestyle they may encounter stressful situations or events that can threaten recovery. Access to comprehensive aftercare services can provide the ongoing recovery care and support that helps the individual navigate these challenges effectively.
What is Aftercare?
Recovery aftercare is a program that helps people maintain their sobriety after they have left treatment. Transitioning back into the real world after treatment can be anxiety inducing and is often a high-risk situation for relapse. By offering an intensive substance abuse aftercare program in Los Angeles, Annandale Behavioral Health bridges the gap between treatment and home, ensuring that each of our clients feels secure in their sobriety throughout the entire process.
Why Substance Abuse Aftercare is Important
Continuing care in the form of an aftercare program is an essential tool for ensuring that people remain supported while transitioning home. A few simple statistics show the importance of aftercare:
· National studies have found that detox of people who attended substance use treatment relapsed in the first year
· Most relapses occur within the first 90 days of completing treatment
· Relapsing after a period of sobriety puts people at higher risk for overdose
· Attending aftercare programs have been shown to reduce the likelihood of relapse, increase total abstinence rates, encourage meeting attendance, and improve overall mental health and wellbeing
· Clients who participate in aftercare are twice as likely to remain sober than those who do not
Put simply, including extensive aftercare programming as part of your treatment is one of the best evidence-based methods of improving recovery after residential addiction treatment.
Elements of Effective Aftercare
Detailed scientific studies have found particular elements of an aftercare program that make them even more effective. The first and most important element is that aftercare must include direct treatment services to be beneficial. Many programs offer something called aftercare planning, which is simply a list of recommendations and appointments for a client to pursue on their own after completing treatment. While this planning can be helpful, it is not sufficient to produce reduced risk of relapse.
Annandale Post’s intensive substance abuse aftercare program in Los Angeles goes above and beyond simple aftercare planning. By continuing both physical and mental health care services, offering additional services à la carte, and personalizing recovery aftercare services to individual clients, we have built an aftercare program that maximizes the likelihood of long-term recovery.
The next critical element is the duration of services. Decades of research have shown that a longer time in treatment is more likely to produce abstinence – even if that treatment is in the form of aftercare services. Extended treatment contact keeps people focused on their sobriety, adds a level of accountability, and encourages people to seek help when they are struggling.
And finally, another critical element of an effective aftercare program for addiction is the method by which services are delivered. Programs that reach out to their clients, rather than wait for their clients to come to them, are more likely to produce strong results. For this reason, Annandale Post goes to great lengths to engage with clients in aftercare, visiting them in their homes and regularly checking in via telehealth.
Additional Benefits of an Aftercare Program
While the primary goal of any recovery aftercare program is to increase the likelihood of long-term sobriety, the benefits extend far beyond mere abstinence. Just a few additional benefits include:
· Staying on top of holistic health – Aftercare keeps clients connected with vital physical, mental, and emotional health services.
· Building community – Elements such as alumni meetings and group therapy let clients keep connected with the peers they went to treatment with. It also offers them an opportunity to give back to others, which can in turn strengthen their own recovery.
· Psychiatric support – By staying connected with the providers from treatment, clients get the help they need to manage co-occurring mental health disorders.
· Increased accountability – Knowing they will be meeting with their support team during the week helps them remain accountable. This includes drug and alcohol testing, which can be a powerful motivator for abstinence.
· Motivational interviewing – Therapists can help clients set weekly, obtainable recovery goals through motivational interviewing techniques.
· Fewer missed appointments – By meeting the participant in their home, there is a higher rate of engagement in the recovery process and fewer missed appointments.
· Help to sustain recovery actions – Without adequate aftercare support, individuals may drift back into old patterns, which increases the risk for relapse. Having ongoing engagement with the aftercare team offers incentive to keep up with the work of recovery.
· Coordination of care – A case manager will encourage participants to schedule their time around various appointments. The providers will be informed by the case manager or therapist of any information about the individual that could help them tailor care accordingly.
Clients in Annandale Posts’ aftercare program can receive all these benefits in a format that fits their schedule and preferences.
Our Intensive Substance Abuse Aftercare Program Services
As with all our programs, Annandale Post was designed by a team of addiction experts striving to take addiction treatment to new heights. When a client is preparing to leave treatment, they collaborate with their treatment team to identify what their needs are for the future, and how Annandale Post can best work for them. By personalizing each client’s aftercare services, people get the help they need when they need it most.
Participants will begin the aftercare program immediately after completing treatment. Instead of expecting the participant to initiate follow-up care, Annandale Post comes to the individual, meeting them at home or another private location to provide essential supportive care services. This includes services such as:
- Case management – Each participant will have a case manager assigned to help coordinate various services. This streamlines the recovery process and reduces stress.
- Counseling – Individual therapy sessions are provided each week, offering the important emotional support needed while adjusting to a new lifestyle.
- Family therapy – For families that want to continue to work together after treatment completion, therapists can come to the home to conduct family sessions.
- Medication management – Participants will meet with their psychiatrist to review medications once or twice a month.
- LVN support – A licensed vocational nurse will provide discrete testing within the privacy of the individual’s home or designated location.
- 24/7 phone support – Round-the-clock phone support is always available, providing additional sources of support and guidance no matter what time of day.
- Mindfulness-based relapse prevention groups – Relapse prevention is a core element of Annandale Post. These weekly evidence-based group therapy sessions teach clients to master mindfulness techniques that help regulate emotions and stress.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy groups – Weekly evidence-based CBT group sessions where participants can learn how to identify and change dysfunctional thought patterns and behavioral responses.
In addition, our team goes to great lengths to ensure that clients get the support they need while transitioning away from inpatient treatment. People entering sober living, for example, can visit the residence with their counselor ahead of time, which can help them to acclimate to a new environment and feel more comfortable before moving in. Those who engage in 12-Step work can continue to seek guidance from their counselor, which can help facilitate the healing process. And since all of these services are customized to each client, you only need to engage in the treatments that you find beneficial.
By combining all of these elements, Annandale Behavioral Health has created the most comprehensive and effective substance abuse aftercare program in Los Angeles. Our in-home services will travel throughout LA and surrounding areas to ensure that every one of our clients gets the help they need to live happy, healthy lives in sobriety. When you’re ready to begin treatment, reach out to our team by calling 855-778-8668 for a free, confidential consultation with our addiction experts – and start your path to recovery today.